Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Fes, Morocco

We took an early flight on Easy Jet (budget European airline) from Paris to Fes, Morocco. I was so scared! Bry had talked me into coming to this strange place and was so excited to check off Africa from the list of Continents he has visited. Fes is the oldest Muslim city in the world. Many have heard of Marakesh, Fes is less known but very impressive! I was a little out of my element, but really did enjoy staying in an old palace type home buried deep within the narrow walls of the medina. (the ancient city) The medina is a maze of narrow alleyways, no cars are permitted (too narrow) only donkeys! The markets are throughout as we walked around-- and we stood out like crazy! Most of the people wear the traditional clothing and most women are covered up. I loved hearing the call for prayer 5 times daily as it echoed through their alleyways on big speakers. There are mosques on every corner, and although we were not allowed to enter, we could peak in and see the kneeling, chanting men. We took a side trip our second day to another town and some of the best preserved ruins in the world, Volubulus. This was a lot of fun to have our own driver for the day and I also really enjoyed going to a holy city, called Meknes on their good friday type day and saw hundreds of people coming to pray in their traditional mosque. My only complaint w/ Fes was that I felt that everyone wanted a piece of our money, which we aren't big spenders, so this got a little tiring.

0 comments: